A&S Magazine » Spring 2022 » Spring 2022 Alumni to Watch
- Zach Baylin ’02 received an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Screenplay for King Richard, starring Will Smith.
- Kathy Young Karsting ’80 received the 2021 Title V Lifetime Achievement Award from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Maternal and Child Health Bureau, for outstanding contributions to the field of maternal and child health over a sustained period. Karsting has worked in the Nebraska DHHS Title V Maternal and Child Health Program since 2006.
- Don Mankin ’68 PhD won first place for travel articles in a 2020 competition sponsored by the North American Mature Publishers Association.
- Titian’s Icons: Charisma, Tradition, and Devotion in Renaissance Italy, by Chris Nygren ’11 PhD, won the Renaissance Society of America’s 2022 Phyllis Goodhart Gordan Book Prize for the best book in Renaissance studies.
- Naoyuki Yoshino ’79 PhD received the International Green Finance Lifetime Achievement Scientific Award from the Central Bank of Hungary in recognition of his breakthrough achievements and transformative career in the field of green finance. Yoshino is Professor Emeritus at Keio University, Tokyo, Japan, and the director of the Financial Research Center at Financial Services Agency, Government of Japan.
Alumni to Watch
- Samuel Cheney ’19 MFA was awarded Gilman School’s Tickner Writing Fellowship, awarded to an emerging poet, playwright, or writer of fiction or creative nonfiction.
- Deirdre Danklin ’19 MFA won an Independent Artist Award from the Maryland State Arts Council and the 2021 Clay Reynolds Novella Prize from Texas Review Press.
- Hannah Friedman ’16 PhD won the Renaissance Society of America’s William Nelson Prize for the best article published in Renaissance Quarterly in 2021.
- Aleyna Rentz ’19 MFA was named a 2021 St. Lawrence Book Award finalist for The Land of Uz, a short story collection.
- Annalee Wu ’21, an illustrator and conceptual artist, was named a winner in the annual L. Ron Hubbard Illustrators of the Future Contest.